I TOOK A TEST FOR COVID-19, NOW WHAT?
Individuals tested for COVID-19 due to symptoms or close contact/exposure should quarantine at home until their test results are received. A Public Health employee may call within a few days if your test is positive.
WHAT IF I TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19?
Vaccinated and Unvaccinated persons who test positive for COVID-19 are recommended to stay home until:
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared AND
- At least 24 hours with no fever without fever-reducing medication AND
- Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving.
**Exception** School aged children who test positive are REQUIRED to stay home following those guidelines.
WHAT IF I TEST NEGATIVE FOR COVID-19?
You probably were not infected at the time your sample was collected. The test result only means that you did not have COVID-19 at the time of testing. Continue to take steps to protect yourself and those around you.
Reminder: All persons who are experiencing an illness should stay home while they are ill, even if they test negative for COVID-19 or receive an alternative diagnosis.
WHAT IF I AM EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19?
Unvaccinated people with NO COVID-like symptoms are recommended to stay home for 14 days or:
- Stay home through Day 10 if no symptoms have developed.
- Stay home through Day 7 if they get a test on Day 5 or later and test negative and if no symptoms were reported.
Unvaccinated people who experience COVID-19 symptoms should stay home and be tested for COVID-19. Free self-test kits are available at Henry County Public Health by appointment only – call 319-385-0779.
In all cases, the individual should continue to monitor for symptoms and are recommended to wear a mask when around others through Day 14 in order to minimize risk of spread.
Fully vaccinated people with NO COVID-like symptoms do not need to stay home following an exposure to someone with suspected or confirmed COVID-19. However, fully vaccinated people should:
- Self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19 for 14 days following an exposure.
- Get tested 3-5 days after the exposure, even if they don’t have symptoms.
- Wear a mask indoors in public for 14 days following exposure or until their test result is negative.
Fully vaccinated people who experience COVID-19 symptoms should stay home and be tested for COVID-19. Free self-test kits are available at Henry County Public Health by appointment only – call 319-385-0779.
CDC recommends that anyone with any signs or symptoms of COVID-19 get tested, regardless of vaccination status or prior infection. If you get tested because you have symptoms or were potentially exposed to the virus, you should stay away from others pending test results and follow the advice of your health care provider or a public health professional.